- Sensitize and build the capacity of women and other vulnerable groups.
- Undertake delegated authority of the County Public Service Board to deal with Human Resource Deployment, discipline, and Development issues in the Department.
- Coordinate and monitor the promotion of awareness against harmful cultural practices such as Female Genital Mutilation/Cutting (FGM/C) and Gender-based Violence (GBV).
- Monitor and evaluate the implementation of affirmative action programmes in the county.
- Assist in developing, implementing and review programmes that aim at raising the status of women through education, awareness, training, and economic empowerment.
- Establish partnerships and cooperation with Women empowerment stakeholders.
- Spearhead the conceptualization and development of Women, Youth and PLWDs Economic Empowerment Fund in liaison with relevant departments.
- Working with other stakeholders such as women representative, department of human capital development and lifelong learning and civil societies, develop programmes for girls into STEM.
- Seek scholarship opportunities targeting girl child.
- Promote the welfare of minorities and marginalized groups.
- Formulate, implement policies and guidelines on culture, tourism and library services
- Promote cultural infrastructure such as art centers, galleries and community cultural centers
- Raises awareness of community about conservations of tourists attraction.
- Collection and compilation of tourism information and data in the county
- Establish and maintain quality library services across the county
- Research historical events, cultural dances and songs, artefacts and folklore and share the information with the public and save them for posterity.
- Promote eco-tourism in the county
- Construction of 570 housing units and 100
- 5 million Grant to orphanage centers.
- Sensitization of youth on the dangers of drugs and substance abuse in the county.
- Registration of 823 Persons Living with Disability (PWDs) in Mandera South.
- Schools Mentorship Programs of primary schools and Secondary schools. .
- Establishment of Persons Living with Disability( PWDs) resource Center.
- Construction of nine (9) Social halls across the county.
- The ministry provided income generating Equipment to women, youth and pwds involved in income generating activities. The Equipment which consisted of items such as Refrigerators, welding machines, carwash machines, salon equipment, incubators and donkey carts were distributed to women, youth and PWDs engaged in income generating activities
- His Excellency Governor Mohamed Adan Khalif launched food distribution to 60,000 HH on November 2022 and 60,000 HH on March 2023 to the most vulnerable households affected by severe droughts across 9 Sub-counties in Mandera County.
- The department of Special Program carried out food distribution to support 90 casual workers in Mandera County Referral Hospitals in order to improve their livelihood on 6th April 2023.
- Participated in County Steering Group meetings on disaster risk management planning and response to the vulnerable members of the community affected by flash floods and other emergencies.
The department is composed of two directorates: youth, and sports & talents development.
- The department participated in all the general consultative meetings for Kenya Youth Intercounty sports Association (KYISA) games.
- Mandera County team participated in the 8th edition of Kenya youth Inter county Sports Association (KYISA) games that was held between 22nd to 30th of April 2023 at Chuka town in Tharaka Nithi County.
- We engaged other relevant stakeholders such as football Kenya federation, constituency development funds (CDF) officials and some NGOs for proper coordination and funding of sporting activities and events.
- Sensitization on drug and substance abuse at GK prison inmates and Mandera secondary school
- Training of sector staff on impact of climate change on youth community and mitigations we are to put in place to address it.
- Convening of youth leaders and draw the framework of ideas and activities youth needs included in financial year 2022/2023 to allow inclusivity in decision making.
- We engaged KSG’s head of youth program on the establishment of a youth Innovation hub in Mandera town and conceptualization meeting chaired by the CEC was held.
- Assessment tour of Mandera youth hall by KSG head of youth program to check the condition and viability of setting up the Center in that facility.
- Showcasing talents of Taekwondo youth group and Drama youth group that presented a skit on the effects of drug and substance in the community.
The Ministry of Social Development is composed of four departments. These are.-
- Culture, tourism & Library Services.
- Youth, sports & Talents Development
- Social Services, Special Programs, Disaster preparedness & management.
- Women Empowerment & Affirmative action.
It is a crucial ministry under which matters affecting the most vulnerable members of our society such as Children, Women, Youth, Elderly and persons living with Disabilities are handled.
To promote holistic quality social services to foster growth and development that is sustainable and nationally competitive.
To improve quality of social services delivery founded on values such as honesty, co-operation, commitment and trust at most crucial period of human growth and development.
Our Core Mandate
- Create social awareness on issues concerning Persons Living with Disabilities (PWD)
- Create social awareness on issues concerning women
- Create social awareness on issues concerning youth
- Create social awareness on issues concerning children welfare
- Day to day administration of county department
- Providing strategic policy direction for effective service delivery within the department
- Implementation of policies and programs within the department
- Development and implementation of strategic plans and sector development goals including performance management
- Formulation and implementation of effective programs to attain Vision 2030
- Promote National Values and Principles of governance and Values and Principles of public service as outlined in Article 232 of the Constitution of Kenya 2010.
- Performing any other duties as may be assigned by the County Executive Committee Member.
- Realize the governors manifesto, Big 8 agenda by formulating and implementing effective program
- Gender equity
- Result Oriented
- Customer Satisfaction
These are development projects the ministry has implemented since 2013 to date
Housing and restocking for vulnerable groups in mandera county
The ministry of youth, gender and social services has been tasked with the duties and responsibilities of servicing, advocating, promoting and improving the living standard of the most vulnerable persons in the society.
Due to this among many projects the department is undertaking, it has considered improving the living standard of the most vulnerable in the society by building houses for them and as well as restocking for the most vulnerable in Mandera county, in line with this, the ministry constructed 160 houses and restocked 116 households for the most vulnerable people across Mandera county. The project is also in line with the National BIG FOUR agenda of H.E president, thus it’s important to undertake the said project.
PWD resource centre
PWD resource center was a project proposed by H.E the Governor during the financial year 2017/2018. The facility currently is complete and has been handed over to the department in June 2018/2019. Operationalization of this center is ongoing. The center will be a place where service for PWD will be rendered.
Mandera rehabilitation centre
Rehabilitation center was also a project proposed by H.E the Governor during the financial year 2017/2018. The facility currently is complete; its construction was to conclude 2018/2019 but due to some technical issue the project completion duration was extended to June 2019/2020. The project currently is complete. The center will be a place where service for people abusing drugs will be rendered. Currently the facility is used as a quarantine facility for covid-19 patients.
Taking into consideration the importance of public participation and social interaction between public and government entities and also non-governmental entities hence the need for social hall is paramount and thus the Mandera County Government has built through the ministry of youth gender and social have constructed 5 social halls across the county.
This has provided a platform to the community to discuss important issues in different sectors affecting the livelihood of the community at large. These social halls have been partially operationalized and highly in need of renovation. These social halls are situated at Rhamu ward, Takaba ward, Khalaliyo ward, Banisa ward and Lafey ward
In relation to the above two social halls were inherited from civil society, one in mandera east and the other at Elwak, both were converted to youth resource center. Only the one in Mandera is partially operationalized.
The Ministry of youth, gender and social service embarked on some key activities, these are capacity building to develop entrepreneurial skills of women, youth and PWD and the purpose of this capacity building is to identify and conduct need assessment of their priority areas that they the ministry to tackle in terms of economic empowerment.
The ministry has approximately capacity built the following county wide:
- 200 women
- 200 PWDs
- 800 youths
The training that was under taken was mainly concerning business plan development and how to actually equip the trainees with entrepreneurial skills that would assist them in venturing to their preferred business and also to equip the trainees with knowledge on business plans development thus offering a road map for their business start- up and development and to improve the trainees’ capacity to scan the environment, identify opportunities and use the skills to exploit this business environment. By the end of the training the trainee must be able to;
- Explain the basic entrepreneurship process
- Scan the business environment.
- Generate business ideas. Screen business ideas.
- Develop a business plan in the relevant trade area.
- The number of youth trained per sub-county are 100.