Public Service, Conflict Management And Devolved Units
The Ministry of Public Service, Conflict Management and Devolved Units was created to provide strategic leadership and guidance to the Public service on the Human Resource Management and Development and promote a cohesive society whose values are harmonious and multi-cultural. It boasts of Five (5) Departments namely; Public Service Management, Devolved Units, Conflict Management, Cohesion and Integration, De-radicalization and Countering Violent Extremism and Governance, Civic Education and Public Participation. Each of these Departments is headed by a County Chief Officer.
Public Service Management basically undertakes Human Resources Management and Development ranging from Payroll Management, Registry (Keeping records of County Employees), Training and Development and Staff Welfare among other functions. On the other hand, Devolved Units Coordinates all County Government Functions at the decentralized units (Sub-County, Ward and Village). In addition, Conflict Management, Cohesion and Integration is tasked with managing conflicts and promoting cohesive and integrated society. The Department of De-radicalization and Countering Violent Extremism is one of the two newly created Departments in the Ministry. It is mandated to help in the fight against Radicalization and Violent Extremism that has wreaked havoc in the County. Governance, Civic Education and Public Participation is also a newly created department that was formed to undertake civic education and citizen engagement in all of the County Government undertakings. It is meant to actively involve the Community in all Government Projects and programs before, during and after implementation.
To be a leading ministry of excellence in Public Service Management, coordination and development in a peaceful and cohesive County.
To provide policy direction in Public Service Management, advice on appropriate organizational structures, initiate and coordinate human resource management reforms to improve service delivery for sustainable socio-economic development and to promote a cohesive society whose values are harmonious and integrative.
The main goal of the Ministry is to develop and sustain a Competitive and adaptive Public Service human resource pool to meet the requirements of the County and regionally competitive and prosperous County.
The Ministry subscribes and is committed to values that guide the culture, identity and unity of purpose in the implementation of the Ministry’s mandate. Our core values include:
- Integrity: To enhance customer confidence in our services, we shall meet customer expectations by carrying out duties and responsibilities with honesty and integrity;
- Professionalism: We shall adhere to best practices, professional standards and ethics to continuously improve service delivery;
- Innovation: We shall continue to promote innovation and creativity through research and exchange of ideas at all levels so as to tap the full potential of our staff;
- Transparency and Accountability: We shall adopt a governance structure that promotes and supports transparency and accountability. We shall encourage our customers to provide feedback and recommendations on improvement of service delivery;
- Teamwork: We shall collaborate with stakeholders to achieve our goals and objectives through consultations, consensus building, participation, and consideration of diversity of opinion and experiences;
- Equity: We shall treat everyone equally and will not discriminate on any grounds, including age, gender, marital status, religion, ethnicity, disability, social status, or political affiliation;
- Respect for rule of law: We shall model the respect of national and county laws in the manner we serve all those requiring our services.
- Human Resources Management and development
- Enhanced Public Participation and citizen engagement
- Undertaking proper Civic Education Programs
- Strengthen coordination and supervision of all devolved functions for efficient and effective service delivery
- Strengthen Peaceful Coexistence amongst Communities in Mandera County.
- Stepping up Community led Prevention and countering violent extremism
- Improve Security Service Provision in Collaboration with the Security Agencies
- Improve the health and wellbeing of the employees through enhanced medical cover and WIBA administration
- Improve adherence to County laws and regulations through Enforcement Services
- Improve Sanitation and waste management
- Enhance Fire-fighting services across all Sub-Counties
- Strengthened Human Resource registry (records) operations by constructing a modern registry and giving guidelines and procedures for the day to day functions in order to safeguard the security of information, records and file management.
- Organized a regional CVE conference in Mandera which brought together over 300 participants from Mandera, Wajir, Isiolo and Garissa.
- Organized religious leader’s consultative meetings on CVE in Mandera East, Mandera South, Lafey, Kutulo and Mandera North.
- Launched the Mandera County action Plan (MCAP) on CVE which will be implemented in the next five years. The MCAP is a blueprint which will guide the implementation of CVE program by community members, County Government, National Government and NSA.
- Managed to reduce terror related incidence within Mandera town through concerted efforts of Security Agencies, Community and County Government.
- Organized Peace day celebration in Rhamu attended by all leaders to commemorate the existing peace and resilience of the communities living in Rhamu.
- Managed to reduce inter-clan conflict through sustained dialogue and community engagement.
- Constructed and Operationalized 15 ward offices to enhance service delivery to the people.
- Managed to construct and operationalize dumping sites in all the sub-county HQs so as to improve garbage and waste management.
- Managed to procure twenty motorcycles for prevention of violent extremism efforts and the fight against drug and substance abuse.
- Managed to Develop Public participation policy with the support of AHADI.
- Coordinated all the public participation exercises conducted by various Ministries and Departments with the aim of enhancing community participation, engagement and feedback.